Sunday 15 May 2016

Frostgrave battle report

So we have played Frostgrave. Me oh my. I have been looking forward to it for time now. It is an extreme game and I love its spirit. I think that it speaks to the soul of a proper gamer. I love that fact that the wizard is central to everything and that the damage dealing is, well, out there!!

We learned that that we need to take more risks with the wizards. We were to cautious by far. This game is different. Having said that, I feel more bought into it than many others we have played over many years. Frostgrave is intelligent. Someone has thought about what 'gamers' like and built this game around that ethos. I am impressed  - and I mean seriously impressed. We have tried to build games - new games - based on what we love and its like someone has been in my brain and delivered that which we have been trying to develop. I am amazed and delighted in equal measure. It lack 'handfuls of dice' but that is all. It is fast moving and drama is delivered in spades!!!

You have got to play this game. It is just so much fun. Quick action, short timescale, and utterly dynamic. Fun fun fun.

First Frostgrave Warband

I had managed to get some paint on my guys and added Baldric and Samson to give me a starting lineup.
Roster
This is my starting roster. There are one or two stat errors which we picked up along the way. In the main my plan was to use wall a lot and Then on offence I had Elemental Bolt. I invested in a Ranger to give some covering fire. My fast moving Thief & Treasure Hunter would go after the Treasure.
The Board
I set-up the gaming area and I thought it was quite busy but we have learned that the game requires more terrain.

I played Baldric and Samson as my Wizard and Apprentice and then the others as they were built. We used green and blue dice as treasure markers. I have ordered Treasure Markers and dice - just waiting on delivery.

First Wall
And so to battle and it wasn't long before my first Wall appears. And then my second. (large matchbox wrapped in a paper sheet)


It was really effective and allowed me to gather the Treasure in relative freedom. However I was getting to cocky and had not realised how devastating ranged shooting and magic could be. Our first casualty was soon in evidence - my apprentice, Samson!! Dead.


We giggled but to be honest I was hoping this wasn't going to be a fatal blow for my Warband. Only time would tell. We played on and My first Elemental Bolt proved to be impressive as I dispatched one of the enemy soldiers. All that was left was the singed spot he was standing on. It was all good fun.

We finished with three treasures each which was a nice balanced start.

In the after game phase I was delighted when my Apprentice recovered with full health and then I rolled very lucky on the Treasure tables resulting in lots of Gold Crowns and a Grimoire which I already knew so I could sell it. Result.

I elected for an Inn as my base. This allowed me to increase the Warband size from 10 to 11. I filled the ranks with a Marksman, two more Rangers and another fast moving Thief. A great start to my Frostgrave adventure.

6 comments:

  1. I get the feeling that this game lends itself to your more 'expressive' gaming attitude as opposed to Mike's more cautious approach, looking forward to more exploits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree but there is a need to look after your more expensive team members. I thrust my Apprentice forward in game one and he died. That was foolish of me. The game will also evolve as magic items and weapons become available. I think it is going to be great fun to play.

      Delete
    2. I've learned that you can pretty much throw away your warband as they're easily replaced if they die outright (which is highly unlikely with the after game dice roll) and don't benefit from experience. As long as you can keep your Wizard, and to a lesser extent your Apprentice, alive and kicking out the spells then you're onto a winner.

      Delete
  2. A great game it seems, and they usually are. I really enjoy Frostgrave.
    I've lost my apprentice twice in five games (both seriously wounded) but my witch has survived so far. Losses seem to be high, but none so far has been a death, but I play rather agressively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that as the Wizard gets more powerful and the Warband is given expensive equipment then the issue of death becomes greater. I have an aggressive style myself :-)

      Delete
    2. you're probably right. i'm saving for a scroll of Restore Life just in case :-)

      Delete