Friday 8 January 2016

Frostgrave - its grabbed my attention!

A new year and a new set of rules. The Frostgrave rulebook was a present over the Christmas and it has been fun thumbing through the pages and getting into the whole scene. Your Warband builds over time, a little like the Blood Bowl that we played and enjoyed so much, last year.


The great thing is that we have been looking at developing a skirmish game ourselves and so I have a selection of models that might suit. However Zombicide Black Plague also landed over the Christmas and there are some lovely models in the boxset that are begging for inclusion.


They would make a wonderful Warband! To start I need a magician and apprentice.


That seems easy enough. Either could act in the roles depending on the nature of the skill set chosen. The chap on the left has that Necromancer feel to him while I imagine the guy on the right to be more of an Elementalist or Enchanter. There are 10 options to choose from with a whole host of exciting spell options. A total of 80 to select from so the resultant character will be very unique. I am loving the sound of it.

The next couple of models also seem to slot into appropriate rolls.


The guy on the left has a shield on his back and has all the hallmarks of an Infantryman while the guy on the right is definitely a Ranger with a bow over his should and quiver of arrows at his side. There are other options that could suit such as Marksman, Barbarian, Treasure Hunter, and others.

Finally we have the three remaining models.


I see the Dwarf as some kind of Thug and then one of the ladies could be a Thief and maybe the other is a Treasure Hunter. Anyway loads of possibilities.

One thing is for certain - they will need the application of some paint to get them ready to enter the fray. I am looking forward to this one. The level of detail is just outstanding.

I have watched some of the play testing videos on utube and the games seem to be short and sharp. This is going to be fun, fun, fun.

13 comments:

  1. This one sneaked under the radar for me. Once I'd read through the book, it just seemed a lot of fun and easy to get started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yip it does look that way and there are plenty of ways make your main caster very different in terms of playing style. Looks hard to get the spells cast in the beginning but as time passes and improvements are made the casting becomes easier and the range of spells available improves. Looks like an easy one to have running alongside everything else.

      Delete
  2. I see a lot of people getting into this.. might have to splash out for the book and have a look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is worth it and you probably don't need to spend much money on models if you have a collection already.

      Delete
  3. Does this count as a diversion from the diversion? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol - so many games, so little time. I think it should be possible to get in a game of Guildball and Frostgrave in the same morning. What a blast that would be!

      Delete
    2. …or a game of Frostgrave at half time during a game of Guild Ball!

      Delete
    3. Oh this is going to be such fun!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good plan have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he - we have actually got dates in the diary for the next year!!! This is a good thing and we want loads of people. I think it is going to be good good good.

      Delete
  5. Multi-use for your boargame figures is always great. I've started paining my Black Plague figures and the nun will serve well in Pulp Alley and some zombies will certainly see action in Frostgrave.
    A Frostgrave campaign is brewing at the club, and that will certaily be grat fun to try the system

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - a campaign could be very good to play. I like what I have seen so far. Ann (the nun) is pretty cool. I have noticed that she is wearing a lot of armour. Might make a Knight Templar?

      Delete
    2. Good idea.
      I'm looking at my collection of minis now and trying to get suitable figs for the different classes

      Delete