Friday 20 June 2014

The Gathering is a pace - The Boyz

In preparation for the 7th Edition Codex I have been getting the boyz out and enjoying the experience. So here is a quick fly through whats available.

Just by way of a quick history lesson (and I only learned this today) - it turns out that Orks are a genetically engineered race. They were created by the a long vanished race called the Brain Boyz to deal with the Necron menace. Apparently the snotling are the last degenerate remnant of the Brain Boys. Now isn't that just very funny.

I have three standard mobs of Boyz. The first are the the 'Grrrrz' so named for the stripes on their jackets (Tigers ... ). These are my first unit and always fielded in every battle. My plan is to increase this unit in size to approximately 30 models so that I have real choice in terms of the models I field. This is my current project so the painting table is very busy.


The second are the 'Ilanders'. They take their inspiration from the various furs that adorn their kit. Over time this has been added to and after some clashes with Space Wolves they acquired shoulder pads as trophies. All carry axes and they stand out on the battlefield. Its important that the different units have identity as they are often fighting close together and you need to be able to tell which unit they are from.


The third mob are the 'Dakka Dakka' boyz. They can really lay down a field of fire. I don't play them as much as I should.


I have always played with a force that has some 'Ard Boyz. I love them and the increased armour means that they are great for holding objectives and the like. There was a time when you could take 3 burns with them - lovely, but alas no more.


My 'Ard Boyz are just the standard boyz but all wearing helmets and plenty of shoulder pads. For effect I have given them all back poles. It just increases the size of the models and makes them really outstanding on the battle field.

Their colour scheme was inspired by the painting of George Dellapina who did some fantastic paint jobs in the White Dwarf many years ago. He had a unique style and loved to clash bright colours. Painting these guys was my first time to really get into washes and highlights. There was no going back after that.

The Tank Bustas are a really fun mob to play. I just love the idea of loading up a squig with 'busta bomz' and letting him charge off to take out a vehicle. Its a little bit like playing fetch except of course the squiq doesn't come back ;-)


They can be a real threat and get lots of attention on the battlefield. If they can get in amongst the armour they will have a field day.

In the last few games I really enjoyed fielding a unit of Storm Boyz.


Having them appear in the middle of the battle can be great fun and the models are really excellent. Lots of facial expression. I love them a lot. Their colour scheme very much follows that of the 'Ard Boyz.

Another great addition was a squad of Kommandos. Having them skulking around the back of the enemy is a god send. They do like the rear armour of vehicles so this can give the opponent some real challenges.


I have come across a Kommando conversion kit on Forge World. I may find myself purchasing one of these soon ;-)

I also took to fielding a unit of Flash Gitz which can be very humorous. Their first couple of outings were an amazing success but there after not so much. They can be a bit 'squishy' and placement is everything.


Again the models are fabulous although the shoulder mounted gun looks really odd. The new models that are just out do look the business!! The nob even has a pirate hat - a nice nod to an older model!

I have various models with Rockets, Big Shoots and Burnas and therefore I can reorganise the Boyz to form other units to suit my needs.

You just gotta love the green skins!

1 comment: